Receive an artist fee to exhibit, with all exhibition costs covered, by submitting your work to 2020 Vision - a project to record contemporary life in NSW throughout the challenges of 2020 and aspirations for the future. 2020 was a shocker!
All NSW-based photographers and photo-artists are invited to submit between 1 and 10 images. Share photos of how you were affected by our 'Black Summer', the subsequent flooding or the pandemic, or show us images that represent how you see the future going forward. Work can be in any genre of photography from conceptual fine-art to photojournalism and should reflect recovery, resilience and rebuilding.
The Head On curatorial team will select work for exhibition by twenty photographers/photo-artists to represent as many NSW regions as possible to gain a diverse view of our state's communities.
Deadline: 14 February 2021
Selected photographic artists receive:
- Artist fee
- Two fully curated and produced exhibitions*; one for a regional exhibition during 2021 and another as a featured exhibition of Head On Photo Festival 2021 in November
- Publication in the 2020 Vision catalogue
Planned accompanying public events* include:
- Exhibition opening and book launch in regional NSW
- Curator talk at the gallery
- Online panel discussion
*Subject to public health orders at the time
Head On Foundation is a leading international non-profit arts organisation. Our reputation is based on our belief that every photo-artist deserves a fair chance to show their work. This philosophy has allowed us to be the first to show quality work that breaks the mould and exhibit all genres of photography by artists at all career stages.
Our team works all year round to create opportunities for your work to be seen - leading industry professionals seeking new and emerging talents follow what we do.
About your proposal
- We prefer recently completed works (within 2020), although works made at any time are accepted
- Works previously exhibited and published elsewhere can be submitted
- Works accepted cannot be exhibited elsewhere in Australia between 1 January 2021 and the end of Head On Photo Festival 2021 (November 2021) without written consent from Head On Foundation
- You can submit multiple proposals
- We accept any genre of photography except for multi-media and video due to exhibition venue limitations
You must submit your proposal online and in one go. You will not be able to edit the submission afterwards.
- Upload up to 10 images - 1200px on the longest edge (72 dpi, JPG format, less than 500Kb, sRGB)
- Fill out all the relevant fields on the submission form
- Pay the submission fee $5 per submission (non-refundable)
Note: The submission process has been optimised for Chrome, Safari and Firefox
Terms and conditions in a nutshell
If you are invited to exhibit work, the key points are:
- You retain copyright over your images
- You allow Head On and Create NSW the right to use submitted images for promotional purposes across all platforms (we will endeavour to ensure you are credited)
- A separate set of Terms and Conditions for exhibitors will be sent to you
- If you accept the Terms and Conditions Head On Foundation will cover all exhibition costs, promotion through Head On channels and your artist fee
We believe all photographers and photo-artists need a fair chance to show their work - submissions are reviewed without the artists’ names, so the work stands on merit alone.
- The Head On curatorial team led by Creative Director Moshe Rosenzveig OAM will review all submissions
- The final selection will include photo-artists/photographers from as many NSW regions as possible
- How does the work connect with and communicate the theme of the 2020 Vision project?
- Is there a new or unique approach to the subject matter?
- Does the photographer show an in-depth understanding of their genre and demonstrate a deep connection with their subject(s)?
What genres of photography do you accept?
- We accept ALL genres of photography
How many exhibitors will you select from each region of NSW?
- We aim to select exhibitors from as many regions as possible
I am not a NSW resident but took a photo in NSW, can I apply?
- Sadly no, but you can submit work for Head On Photo Festival 2021 and the Head On Photo Awards 2021
How much does it cost to apply?
- $5 for each submission
- Each submission can consist of up to 10 images
This project is proudly supported by the NSW Government through Create NSW as part of Arts Restart